Commercial Film Producers of Europe Announces Young Director Award 2009 Winners
CANNES, France, June 25, 2009 - The Commercial Film Producers of Europe (CFP-E) and Shots magazine announced the winners of the Young Director Awards 2009. At the ceremony in Cannes, France, the jury comprised of experienced and respected industry professionals including Shots magazine editor Lyndy Stout, rewarded commercial directors who were "born to create drama."
The award-winners in each category are:Test - Non-European:
Test - European:
- Second Prize: "Training Ground" directed by Corlin Stubbs, Produced by himself (LA, USA)
- Second Prize: "Coke Babies" directed by The Purchase Brothers; Production company: Sons and Daughters (Toronto, CAN)
Film school - Non-European:
- First Prize: "The Robbery" directed by Grøbert&Grøbert, produced by Robin Polak (Berlin, Germany)
- Second Prize "Impact" directed by Tania Verduzco; Production Company: Arena Shots Vision (Barcelona, Spain)
Film school - European:
- Second Prize: "5 Gallons" directed by Olivier Agostini; Filmschool: Art Center College of Design (CA, USA)
- Second Prize: "Step In The Right Direction" directed by Marjorie Cohen, Filmschool: Art Center College of Design (CA, USA)
Virals - non-European:Virals - European:
- First Prize: "Oleg - Life Of A Weightlifter" directed by Mario Zozin, Film school: Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg (Ludwigsburg, Germany)
- First Prize: "Stars" directed by Aleksander Bach; Film school: Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg (Ludwigsburg, Germany)
- Second Prize: "Way Of Money" diected by Tilman Braun; Film school: Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg (Ludwigsburg, Germany)
Broadcast - non-European:
- Second Prize: "Pattex Love" directed by Frank Radermacher; Production company: Vogelsänger Film GmbH (Düsseldorf, Germany)
Broadcast - European:
- First Prize: "Above The Influence 'Fitting In'" directed by Trevor McMahan and David Neham; production company: Rabbit (New York, USA)
- Second Prize: "Soccer Can" directed by Ben Briand; Production company: Cherub Pictures (Australia)
- First Prize: "You Are Powerful" directed by Kim Gehrig; Production company: Academy (London, UK)
- First Prize: "150 Years" directed by Damien Ferrié; Production company: Wanda Productions (Paris, France)
- Second Prize: "House Party" directed by Nima Nourizadeh; Production company: Partizan (London, UK)
Special Jury Prize:
- First Prize: "Unexpected Performance" directed by Ben Woolf; Production Company: Pulse Films (London, UK)
- Second Prize: "Schockproof Festival 09 Ident" directed by Eugen Liska; Produced by: Gasper Snuderl
"Every year, the commercials that are submitted are exceptionally creative and inspiring," said François Chilot, President, CFP-E, Young Director Award. "This year, the jury selected unique projects that really stood out in terms of originality and quality of production. One film was so remarkably good that the members of the jury unanimously decided to award it the Special Jury Prize. "Stars", directed by Aleksander Bach, is an exceptionally moving production worthy of some of the world's most gifted and well-known film directors. The prize also rewarded the Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg (Ludwigsburg, Germany), whose talented students submit films of exceptional quality year after year."
- "Stars" directed by Aleksander Bach; Film school: Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg (Ludwigsburg, Germany)
Young Director Award, the well-known fringe event during the Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival, which attracts over 900 spectators and professionals every year, lends exposure and prestige to the short-listed and winning directors. The winners also benefit from promotion in Shots magazine and on the Young Director Award website and receive up to 2,400 meters of Kodak 35mm film.
Young Director Award 2009 is a partner of ADFEST which, like YDA, offers the young aspiring commercial directors of the world even more exposure. ADFEST is an annual regional advertising event that celebrates creativity in the Asia Pacific region.
About the Young Director Award
The Young Director Award (www.youngdirectoraward.com) has supported and promoted debuting international creative talent in commercial film production since 1999.
About the CFP-E
The Commercial Film Producers of Europe is a non-profit federation for commercial film producers. The members are the national associations representing commercial film producers. Production companies who are members of a national organization are automatically "associate members" of the CFP-E. For further information, go to www.cfp-e.com.
About Shots magazine
Launched in 1990, Shots magazine provides ideas and inspiration for creative talent, as well as being a recognized source of information for the industry. Published on a bi-monthly basis in magazine and DVD format, Shots showcases cutting-edge creativity in global advertising, selecting innovative TV commercials and the latest work from talented new directors, as well as ground-breaking music videos, virals, short films and idents. For further information, go to www.shots.net.
Sylvaine MONTAGNAT RENTIER
Tel: +33 (0)4 76 84 49 63
CFP-E, Young Director Award
Tel: +33 (0)1 47 30 34 56
YDA website: http://www.youngdirectoraward.com
YDA blog: http://www.yda2009.com/blog
YDA blog RSS: http://youngdirectoraward.wordpress.com/feed
YDA promotional posters: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24163467@N03/sets
YDA previous winner films: http://www.youtube.com/youngdirectoraward
YDA YouTube group: http://www.youtube.com/group/youngdirectoraward
YDA Vodpod Collection: http://youngdirectoraward.vodpod.com
YDA Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10638996473
Kodak, Snarx, Medialab, Corbis, Tro, Pictorion das Werk, Directors Cut Commercials, Pirates n' Paradise, Avid, TBWA / PHS, PHS / Premedia, Chesterfield Group, Soup Film, Vogelsänger Film, VCC, Cosmix Studios,
The French Art Directors Club, Escape Route, Tempomedia, Studio Funk, Big Fish, 3 Klang, Corbis, Acht, Caviar, Listo, Condor Films, STV, Dicentia, Les Producers, Markenfilm, Framepool, Fake, Inoob, Contagious,